Ligation is a surgical process in which a ligature is wrapped around a body tube, duct, or blood artery. Endoscopic ligation is an effective treatment and is frequently used to treat esophageal bleeding, gastric varices, and angiodysplasia. It is a viable method for removing lesions from the upper gastrointestinal tract. It also reduces the likelihood of complications such as perforation and bleeding.
The global ligation devices market was $992.94 million in 2021 and will reach $1745.69 million by 2030, exhibiting a CAGR of 6.47% from 2021 to 2030.
- The increased patient preference for minimally invasive surgery due to fewer problems and shorter hospital stays will be a primary driver accelerating the market's growth rate for ligation devices. The increased prevalence of cancer and hernia will raise demand for nephrostomy treatments, propelling the ligation devices market's growth rate further.
- Rising healthcare expenditures and rapid technological advancements will be market expansion drivers. Similarly, rising obesity rates and the prevalence of hemorrhoids will benefit the market's growth rate. Rapid urbanization, changing lifestyles, and rising disposable incomes in developing and developed countries will impact the growth pace of the ligation devices industry. The growing geriatric population and the rise in cardiovascular illnesses would boost the market for ligation devices.
- Furthermore, the increase in the number of research and development activities linked with ligation devices and the creation of innovative, tiny laparoscopic instruments would give favorable possibilities for the expansion of the ligation devices market. Growing demand from emerging nations, and an increase in the number of government programs to raise awareness about the benefits of ligation devices, will drive the growth rate of the ligation devices market in the future.
The high cost of the gadgets and the scarcity of experienced personnel will hamper industry expansion. Negative effects of tubal ligation surgery, such as pelvic or abdominal pain, will also threaten the market for ligation devices. However, a lack of understanding will restrain the market's growth pace even further.
- On the basis of the product
The accessories segment recorded the maximum market share of over 55% in 2020 and is expected to grow at a 6.9% CAGR. This increase is due to growth in surgical procedures, particularly in developing countries. Furthermore, this category is predicted to grow due to its availability in numerous sizes and diverse applications in surgical operations.
- On the basis of procedure
The 'open surgery' segment accounted for a major share of the market for ligation devices in 2020, and it is expected to grow fast during the estimated period. It is also predicted to expand fast, owing to an increase in the rates of cardiac disease and open-heart surgical operations. Furthermore, numerous open-heart surgical procedures requiring ligation devices, such as Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (CABG), aortic valve replacement, and mitral valve replacement are propelling the market to a large extent.
- On the basis application
The gastrointestinal and abdominal surgeries segment held the largest portion of the market in 2020 and is expected to grow at a 6.9% CAGR during the forecast period. A factor stimulating the growth of this market is the increasing incidence of cardiovascular disorders.
- In terms of end-user
The hospital segment ruled the overall market for ligation devices in 2020, with a share of more than 75%. Factors accelerating the growth of this segment are the increase in healthcare spending, the increase in the number of procedures, and the increase in the number of hospitals. The ambulatory surgical centers are expected to hold a major position in the market during the forecast period.
- On the basis of region
Because of rising healthcare costs and the prevalence of chronic illnesses, North America dominated the ligation devices market in 2020. As per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), coronary heart disease (CHD) was the most common type of cardiac disease in the United States in 2018, accounting for 370,000 deaths yearly. Furthermore, increased government investment and substantial rivals are propelling the market growth.
Furthermore, Asia Pacific is expected to increase rapidly during the forecast period. The vast patient population and quick infrastructure development in the APAC region are driving the region's growth.
Key Players analysis
- Olympus Corporation
- Grena Think Medical
- Cooper Surgical
- B. Braun Melsungen AG
- ConMed Corporation
- Applied Medica
- Teleflex Incorporated
- Other players